A HUGE THANK YOU to Mrs. Sally Dixon, our Toy Store worker of 15 years and coordinator of 8 years! We are grateful for your willingness to serve, your many hours of hard work, organization
skills, and most of all your compassion for children. Thank you for your commitment to “a full selection of toys at the end of the week as at the beginning,” for your ability to see God at work among His people, and for the generous offer of your gifts, skills, and abilities to point others to Jesus!
From Sally Dixon: I thank God for the blessing of serving the families of Burke County and showing them His Love in all the ways we demonstrate it through The Toy Store Mission and Ministry. Also, I have loved experiencing The Body of Christ in action as we volunteers have worked together. It has been humbling to be a part of something that brings followers of Christ together.
A HUGE THANK YOU to Mrs. Jean Smith who has accepted the mantle of the Toy Store’s co-coordinator! We appreciate her willingness to reach out to others with the Gospel of Jesus Christ through the gifts of toys at Christmastime. Please pray for her as she works with Mrs. Janet McDaniel by ‘stretching out her hands to the needy’ and inviting
A HUGE THANK YOU to all the churches, agencies, and individual sponsors outside our association who have generously and willingly overwhelmed the Toy Store with toys, time spent in counseling, organizing, helping, shopping, planning, and a myriad of tasks that enabled the Toy Store to run smoothly for another year! May God bless you richly for your gifts to Him!
Many volunteers from our churches and beyond have worked together to:
*Experience God’s corporate blessings:
*Serve the Lord “doing together what we cannot do apart”
*Form new friends/renew friendships
*Create new stories of grace and mercy
*Fellowship and strengthen the body of Christ
*Invite others to know Christ as Savior
* Revel in the joy of using spiritual gifts
* Step outside comfort zones to stretch faith in Kingdom work
Pray: for next year’s Toy Store Go: volunteer in many ways for the Lord-see below
Give: donations or new toys Rejoice: in the LORD’s work!
Toy Store Volunteer Areas:
It takes about 150 volunteers to accomplish all of the physical and spiritual needs of Toy Store! Many times churches schedule their own groups to come volunteer. The Lord has supplied many loving Christians from our churches who have volunteered for the last 20 years, and the need for new volunteers to serve and be blessed is always present.
If you would like to volunteer in one of these areas, please contact us by clicking here to send an email or calling (828) 437-0137
- Counselors are needed to introduce parents to a saving relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ and to pray with them over current needs. An active membership with one of our churches in their area is also encouraged. Counselors usually meet for about 10 minutes with the Director of Missions prior at the beginning of each day. If you need to brush up on how to lead someone to the Lord, click here for a helpful set of videos by Rev. Dr. Steve Parker (retired pastor at Zion Baptist Church)
- Shoppers are needed to assist the parents in selecting toys for their children. The idea is to show the love of Jesus by being friendly and helpful. This prepares them for the counseling session also. Shoppers take a plastic bag, put a label on it with the parent’s name and walk with them around the tables that display the toys by age group.
Shoppers are usually given a brief 10 minute training:
- Showing where the bags and labels are as well as batteries for the toys
- Showing where the stuffed stockings are and any other free items that churches, etc. have donated for give-away
- How to transition from the shopping to the counseling
- Part of the way that a shopper can help is to greet at the entrance door and walk with them down the long hall to the actual Toy Store area and be with them while they check in at the desk.
- Set-up and take-down volunteers are needed to prepare the Toy Store for the parents and to store the toys when it is finished. This is simply a matter of meeting sometime before the Toy Store begins or just after the last appointment and unpacking or packing boxes.
- Shoppers are needed to shop for toys with parent(s) and/or guardian(s).
- Toy Store Connectors who communicate with their churches about Toy Store blessings and needs. These volunteers are very valuable to the ministry as they help members to understand the incredible stories and spiritual needs that are met through Toy Store. They also build support by working with church leadership and membership who would plan Toy Store fundraising/promotional activities. These activities include asking for special offerings, sponsoring a toy drive, making regular announcements, providing members with bulletin inserts, recruiting volunteers, etc. Engaging various church groups such as Youth/Children’s Programs, Baptist Men, WMU, Senior Citizen groups, and Sunday School classes would be excellent places to promote this effort.