CRBA Update ___________________________________ March 8, 2018
HELP NEEDED! As many of you know, we are renovating the house behind the CRBA office in order to sell it and apply the proceeds from the sale of the house to the existing debt (mortgage on the property) which is currently $240,500. At this point a tremendous amount of work has been accomplished with the help of Stephen Daniel and others. While much has been accomplished there is much work to still be done. That being said, it is time to come together and get it finished. We are looking for volunteers to help us finish this important project. If you are willing to help with any of the following tasks, please give us a call at our CRBA office.
- Install plumbing fixtures (tubs, sinks, etc.)
- Hanging Doors
- Trim Work
I know each of you and all of our churches are concerned for those lost without Christ (63,000) in Burke County. While most in Burke County do not have a relationship with Christ there are areas where lostness is more concentrated. These are the areas we want to place significant emphasis, so please join me on Monday, March 12th at 10 a.m. as we share where these pockets are and then work together to find creative ways to reach them for Christ. We will have special guests from the Convention of N.C. and the North American Mission Board joining us so please do all you can to make this a priority on your calendar. This is for all pastors/staff and leadership and will include lunch.
Catawba River Baptist Association will be hosting a Leadership Roundtable for Senior Adult Church Ministries in Burke County on Tuesday, March 13th at 1:30 p.m. at our CRBA office in Morganton. This will be a time of brainstorming and information as Debra Kuykendall from the North Carolina Baptist Aging Ministry shares some creative ideas that can be used for Senior Adult ministries in local churches. Please join us for this fun and inspiring event.
This year’s Associational Bible Drill and Speaker’s Tournament will be Sunday, March 18th at 3 p.m. at Wilkies Grove Baptist Church in Connelly Springs. Bible Drill (Children & Youth) and Speakers Tournament (Youth) ministries are a great discipleship tool that helps students learn and memorize God’s Word. For more information on this important discipleship ministry please give us a call at our CRBA office.
OUT of the Box
(Creative Ideas to Reach our Community for Christ)
EASTER WEEKEND: INVITING YOUR COMMUNITY
(adapted from Outreach Magazine)
1. Neutral Location. Instead of holding services at your church, consider scheduling them at a neutral location. One church uses a flower ranch located on the property of one of their members and draws many unbelievers each year.
2. Celebrity Connection. Engage your community by inviting a local Christian “celebrity” to participate in your Easter service. Ask the mayor to narrate your Easter musical; invite a sports figure to share his or her testimony; ask the local pageant queen to sing; or invite a local disc jockey or news anchor to participate in a reader’s theater.
3. Baskets Benefit. Collect Easter gift baskets from local businesses and church members for a silent auction, benefiting a local charity.
4. Easter Photos. On Easter Sunday, give guests free family photos. Enlist a photographer, set up a spring backdrop and give each person their pictures the following Sunday at Church.
5. Visual Aid. Build or purchase a large wooden cross and place it at the front. Early in the Easter worship experience, explain the cross’ significance.
6. Children’s Participation in the Easter Worship Experience. Never underestimate the power of a children’s musical or drama. Not only are children remarkably capable of presenting the Gospel in a compelling way, but parents, grandparents and friends who might otherwise never set foot in a church will come with cameras in hand.
7. Sermon on CD. Make the Easter sermon available free of charge to guests. On the CD cover, list the upcoming message series and topics that will be covered.
8. Love Jars. Fill canning jars called “Love Jars” with brownie mix, attractively layered, sealed with a lid and covered with seasonal fabric. Then make a personal visit to the home of each Easter visitor. Make it a nonthreatening, nonpreachy visit that simply says, “We’re glad you came…. hope to see you again.”
9. Spring Family Festival. Follow up Easter Sunday with a spring family festival. Give the kids carnival tickets stapled to their Easter egg bags to use for rides and games. It’s a strong motivator that turns an Easter-only visit into at least two visits. A barbecue and outreach-oriented message series give parents a reason to return as well.
Ministry Partner News
Grace Baptist Church is currently seeking a Minister of Music (part-time). If interested please contact Grace Baptist Church at 828-433-1508 or email@example.com
Catawba Valley Baptist Church is currently seeking two people to join their staff. The positions are:
Minister of Music/Associate Pastor (full-time)
If interested please contact pastor Dean Hart @ 828-850-0402 or firstname.lastname@example.org
CRBA Office has a portable baptistry to give away free of charge. If your church is interested please contact Amy at the office 828-437-0137.
Join the Pregnancy Care Center as they celebrate 31 years of promoting and advocating life for babies, women, and families all across Burke County. The night will feature music by the Hipps Family, comedy by local comedian Bob Clark, and featuring speaker Henry Jernigan. Henry is a highly regarded pro-life speaker who has worked professionally in film, TV, radio, and theater. His messages combine humor and real life circumstances to enlighten communities about the amazing work of their local pregnancy center motivating them to get involved. Bring your church, your friends, or even your significant other for a night out! This is a free ticketed event, a love offering and pledge opportunity will take place at the end of the night for all who would like to be a part of the ministry of PCCOB. The event will take place March 15th at 6 p.m. at Mount Home Baptist Church. To register and for more information please call 828-437-4357.
Come out and support the 2nd Annual South Mountain Baptist Camp 5K & Fun Run on Saturday, March 10th at Catawba Meadows Park in Morganton, NC! Registration will begin at 8AM, the 5K will begin at 9AM, and the 1-Mile Fun Run will begin at 9:45AM. There will be prizes for top finishers in each age category, as well as special treats waiting for everyone when they cross the finish line! Let your kids have fun by dressing up as their favorite superhero or princess for the Fun Run. You can register online at www.racesonline.com and searching “South Mountain Baptist Camp”. We hope to see you all there!
The Annual Baptist Children’s Homes Food Roundup is coming up and we need your help. All of the items that are donated go to help feed children in need. Please take the time to look over the list below and bring any donations to the CRBA office. If you have any questions please call our office at 828-437-0137.
Please be in prayer for this week’s Churches of the Week:
(Pastor Pao Ly)
(Pastor Phil King)
(Pastor Billy Bollinger)
Glen Alpine FBC (Pastor John Terry)
(Pastor Marty Bess)
Churches without Senior Pastors:
Mountain View #1
We will never find joy in church membership when we are constantly seeking things our way. But paradoxically, we will find the greatest joy when we choose to be last. That’s what Jesus meant when He said the last will be first. True joy means giving up our rights and preferences and serving everyone else.